Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Gays to serve openly in The Military?

We hope so.
President-elect Barack Obama will allow gays to serve openly in the military by overturning the controversial "don't ask, don't tell" policy that marred President Clinton's first days in office, according to incoming White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.

The startling pronouncement, which could re-open a dormant battle in the culture wars and distract from other elements of Obama's agenda, came during a Gibbs exchange with members of the public who sent in questions that were answered on YouTube.

"Thadeus of Lansing, Mich., asks, 'Is the new administration going to get rid of the "don't ask, don't tell policy?'" said Gibbs, looking into the camera. "Thadeus, you don't hear a politician give a one-word answer much. But it's, 'Yes.'"

OYE Comment: Let's face it, there's less ignorance in the United States now than in 1993, and it's long overdue for this policy to go the way of prohibition. Although "don't ask, don't tell" is still far from being overturned we are pleased the topic has once again been brought into the discussion during a time when The Military needs more personnel. If overturned it will also give institutions like Columbia University no cover for refusing to offer ROTC. We look forward to do what we can to help all patriotic Americans serve in uniform if they choose.

2 Comments:

At 15 January, 2009 01:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a proud gay American Muslim I have 2 disadvantages. First is I am gay for 20 year and happily married to Palestinian man. I am prettu sure I can not serve in the military since 9/11.
Also I am in treatment because I was raped in Israeli prison by 2 Russian Moldovans. I am pretty sure nobody will let me be a Marine. I love my country and wont to contribute but looks like I am going to stay a librsrian in local college..

 
At 03 February, 2009 17:00, Blogger Groenhagen said...

Wek:

Now that gays can serve in the military, when will you "man up" and enlist? You no longer have an excuse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home