Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Marine Corps Push-Ups: Ooo-Rah!

From the Indianapolis Star:

A defendant dropped down and performed 50 push-ups in court Friday, and a prosecutor dropped the charges against him.

The dismissal of Chase C. Allen's misdemeanor trespassing and disorderly conduct charges apparently helped smooth the way for the 20-year-old Marine recruit to report to boot camp.

The unusual resolution during a morning session in Marion
[Indiana] Superior Court prompted applause from the gallery, Judge Barbara Collins said later.

But the judge was quick to point out that she had taken no part in the informal deal. "It was an agreement between the prosecutor and the defendant," Collins said.

In Allen's case, she said, she simply accepted the dismissal form submitted to her by Deputy Prosecutor Daniel Cavallini.

Observers said a uniformed Marine recruiter attended the hearing and gave Allen encouragement while he was doing the push-ups. Allen made it one or two push-ups past 50, they said.


[ . . . ]

Collins says she's seen strange arrangements in her courtroom, but never push-ups. "It wasn't anything this court would require anybody to do."

OYE Comment:

Operation Yellow Elephant knows nothing about Mr. Chase C. Allen's politics, and very little about the circumstances that led him to the courtroom, but we couldn't resist the temptation to remind Our President's strongest supporters, the College and Young Republicans, that our respect cannot be taken for granted; it must be earned. Fifty push-ups is not easy; it requires discipline, dedication and training.

Patriots with pending criminal obligations of any type [charges, probation, parole, etc.] are not eligible to enlist. Of course, once the prosecutor dropped the charges, Mr. Allen was free to volunteer, or not, according to his own choice.

That said, we thank all concerned for giving this young patriot a chance to serve his country honorably, and we wish him all the best.

Important Note: The photo above has absolutely nothing to do with Mr. Chase C. Allen, the subject of the story. It's just the absolute best illustration of U.S. Marine Corps push-ups available anywhere.

Hat tip to Chuck Shepherd's News of the Weird.

2 Comments:

At 12 October, 2007 14:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Either go to jail or join the military has always been a common option. I knew of several people when I was in the Army, who had the option of joining the Army, to avoid having minor charges against them. It was done by the judge.
Nothing new here.

 
At 31 July, 2008 22:02, Blogger Unknown said...

Very well Samwise, but I didn't have to join after doing those push-ups. My recruiter and I both wanted to see me proudly call myself a Marine during my recruiting process. I am now PFC Allen, proud devil serving as a 0844 FDC Field Artilleryman in Okinawa, Japan. The motivation that I get everyday when things must be accomplished comes from the things that I HAVE accomplished. On top of that, I enjoy everday that comes my way in this Marine Corps of mine and appreciate a change of pace from back home in Indianapolis. To all who read this, no matter who you are, where you come from, what you've been through, if you have something in mind that you want to do, push yourself to do it and stay true to yourself and others. In the end, you'll see that the long run turned out to be a moto run. To my recruiter, OYE, the honorable Judge Brabara Collins, and the people along my way that told me, "...the Marines sound like a good idea for you Chase", I say this- Thank you, without your support I would not be in the shoes I am in right now (Jungle boots baby!). Once again, thanks for the love everyone, I appreciate it.

Semper Fidelis,
Allen, PFC Chase

 

Post a Comment

<< Home