Friday, September 09, 2005

OYE the Freedom Walk

On September 11 the Department of Defense is sponsoring the "America Supports You Freedom March", which sounds slightly Chico Marx to my ears, in order to commemorate the September 11 attacks and, not incidentally, tie it to the war in Iraq.

I will be attending the walk and will be punctilious about following all the rules and regulations of the walk, whether or not they make a bit of sense. After all, it's already be made clear that people who actually exercise freedom on the Freedom Walk are subject to arrest.

I've already received my t-shirt which participants are obligated to wear during the march, as well as my cheap alloy souvenir dog tags, which I tipped off Atrios and the Liberal Avenger to.

However, after the walk, when people are filled with the warm glow of appreciation for our men and women in uniform, it seems like a perfect time to try to convince the more gung-ho to stop talking about supporting the troops and actually join them. That's what I'll be doing.

If you are in the area of the Mall after the walk, perhaps you, like me, would like to encourage people otherwise destined to bear the mark of the chickenhawk to join. If so, print out this flyer and distribute it freely, in case they wonder where the nearest recruiting office is.





Update 9/10/05: Final preparations made. Pamphlets ready. Hope to have some video if I return from my foray into the Republic of Wingnuttia.

6 Comments:

At 09 September, 2005 21:45, Blogger Jackson said...

Oh, I must do something like this, all those fucking Republicans at my school arguing for war but don't have the balls to step up to the plate when it comes time. Fantastic program you have going!

 
At 09 September, 2005 22:10, Blogger Mykeru said...

Sadie B.,

Yes: Pinheads and me.

 
At 10 September, 2005 00:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A chance to reunite with Kristinn Taylor:

The group found a spot on Fourth Street NW along the Mall, where it plans to rally Sept. 24. The permit application is for 1,000 people, but Taylor hopes to have more. "This could easily attract 10,000 [potential recruits]," he said.

http://www.supportthetroopsweekend.org/

 
At 10 September, 2005 09:11, Blogger Karl said...

Rev. Mykeru-

Thank you very much.

I've joined the 58% of Americans who are feeling depressed given the events (and our government's response, or lack thereof) in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.

But I'm still working on themes for possible new postings.

-

 
At 13 September, 2005 12:39, Blogger Aaron Kinney said...

Hey that GIF image is great! But I got a question:

Is there another version that is not Washington D.C. specific? Like a generic version that asks for enlistment and has the yellow elephant web address on it? I would like to see an "all purpose" version like this so I can put it on the windshields of cars that have the "support the troops" ribbons on them.

Help us get the word out! :)

 
At 13 September, 2005 19:01, Blogger Mykeru said...

I can make one with a blank space that you can fill in with your own Google Map area.

Or a MS Word document that will accomplish the same. Let me work on it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home