Saturday, October 07, 2006

Dialogue with Infidel753: OYE Bingo Bonus Point!

Well, Infidel753's excuse is so blatant, and so minimizes the importance to Western Civilization As We Know It of the Global War on Terrorism in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere, that we'll have to give everyone a bonus point (the Yellow Elephant in the middle) in Operation Yellow Elephant bingo. Of course, we've heard it before.

This weird form of ad hominem attack is not applied in other, comparable situations. I believe that we need firefighters, but no one argues that this belief obligates me to become a firefighter myself. I firmly support the difficult and dangerous struggle of the police against violent criminals, but no one would claim that this viewpoint means I have a duty to join the police force. I am very pleased that there are medical researchers hard at work developing treatments for the infectious and degenerative diseases which threaten our species, but I have not yet heard anyone claim that I have no right to feel that way unless I become a researcher myself. What a chickenhawk I am, advocating the defense of society while sitting at home and letting other people face those dangerous fires, criminals, and viruses in my place.

Well, Infidel753, I think that President Bush has clearly stated that the GWOT is not "comparable" to the situations you describe:

Yet this war is more than a military conflict; it is the decisive ideological struggle of the 21st century. On one side are those who believe in freedom and moderation -- the right of all people to speak, worship, and live in liberty. On the other side are those driven by tyranny and extremism -- the right of a self-appointed few to impose their fanatical views on all the rest.

We've asked Infidel753 whether he's even eligible to serve (healthy heterosexual 41 and under) or whether he's been told by a military recruiter that he's not. [In either case, he's off the hook with us.] But, since Infidel753 must approve comments before posting on his blog, please share your opinions here.

7 Comments:

At 07 October, 2006 15:19, Blogger Bob Harrison said...

Mr. Infidel speaks like a true chickenhawk-- if my neighbor's house was on fire would I become a firefighter? What if my pants were on fire, would I fight the fire?

Obviously, I would not. I'd blog about it.

P.S. I see your guilt and raise you a been-there, done-that.

 
At 07 October, 2006 16:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always amused that the Yellow Elephants can come up with so many reasons why they should not serve in a war that they apparently champion. Such hypocrites. Even if he is unwilling to pull a trigger, he could sit in the Green Zone in Baghdad and type.

--raj

 
At 07 October, 2006 19:00, Blogger Karen McL said...

We could use an OYE Bingo for why they haven't changed course on their WINNING strategy for Victory!

The first square should say:

"I haven't read that report..."

*snark*

 
At 07 October, 2006 20:34, Blogger robash141 said...

Mr Infidel That I am not an electrician or an electrical engineer but I would like to tell him how to wire your house.As a matter of fact, I would like to force you to wire it my way.Plus,you'll have to pay for it

I'm very pro-electricity and I've read a few things about electricty and I have a few
theory's about how it is supposed work.
Of course if the house burns down or you get electrocuted in the process, It's not my fault.

Whats the matter? Doesn't that sound like a good deal?

 
At 08 October, 2006 02:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The flaw with that argument (why should I join...) is mainly...

There isn't a shortage of people wanting to join the fire fighters across the US, nor the police force, but there is a shortage of potential Army personal. (If not, then the president wouldn't have to stop loss personal from the IRR, or utilize the national guard/active reserves)

If I could join, I would not. The Bush foreign policy is wrong, and I'm glad brave personal such as Infidel753 are protesting this unjust war by not joining. Infidel753, I'm glad you're on our side by not joining. Of course, you have to keep your conservative principles by saying you support the war (which means nothing, of course), but so be it. If you could be a bit more brave and publicly address the Bush lies, then there would be hope for you yet.

 
At 08 October, 2006 02:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll just say the same thing I tell all of them:

1. I'm a liberal
2. I'm a Soldier
3. I had the balls to go despite my opposition to the war, which means I completely kick your ass in a dick-measuring contest.

Hooah!

 
At 08 October, 2006 17:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that "Bingo" card.

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home