Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Perceived Overuse of a Compliment

Thoughts from a Paratrooper.
Like many veterans, I’ve been called a hero for my military service. As I see it, I didn’t accomplish anything extraordinary during my time in the Army or my two tours in Iraq. I did my job. I had good days and I had bad days. Yes, on really bad days things were nasty and might involve multiple fiery explosions or being under severely oppressive heat for hours, wearing a full kit. Despite these hardships, I tried, generally, to do as good a job as I could while serving, and I left military service honorably. Even though I didn’t participate in any solitary acts of heroism, like jumping on a grenade or being the guy who got Osama bin Laden, there are many who would say I am a hero for doing what others would not while putting myself at extreme risk.

I understand the sentiment, and I trust that there are those who truly believe that all service members are heroes, simply for signing up. But I can’t help think that for some, “hero” is a throw-away word, designed to demonstrate a “support the troops” position or guarantee applause at an event.

3 Comments:

At 19 November, 2018 07:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just wondering you you knew that Anthony Mantova ran for City council in eureka California this year, and didn't get elected despite raising significantly more money than his opponents, including his own money, about 40 Grand

 
At 10 December, 2021 21:30, Blogger OYE said...

Thank you for the update.

Best wishes.

 
At 01 August, 2022 10:16, Anonymous Pasadena Dishwasher Repair said...

God blless

 

Post a Comment

<< Home