Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Humor, Empathy, and Sex

Have you ever been accused by a conservative as being humorless and overly-serious? I know I have. While I’m no comic genius, I feel that I have a healthy sense of humor. After a few drinks, I’ll loosen up to the point where I could get on stage. I get a joke when it’s being told, and I laugh when it’s funny. I can tell if somebody is yankin’ my chain, and I yank back. But, I’ve noticed that the jokes that most conservatives tell are just not funny. Their “jokes” are mostly crafted as jabs or insults. They lack the basic foundations of joke telling.

I couldn’t put my finger on what conservatives were missing. Why couldn’t they tell a good joke? I was reading Fables of the Reconstruction this morning, and it hit me—their inability to be funny may be tied to their inability to empathize:

The key to successful humor, after all, is to be able to see things from other people’s perspectives – a liberal trait that conservatives deride variously as “relativism” or “objectively pro-terrorist”. So conservatives may have a genetic makeup that makes them less able to appreciate what’s funny, and consequently take themselves very seriously and see the world as a dour, threatening place, with all these other people having a good time and laughing – sometimes at them. This explains a lot, I think, and deserves further research.

Interesting. The most hilarious comedians have the ability to combine real life, irony, absurdity, and exaggeration into a well woven story. Their joke crafting skills are so acute because they are able to see life from the eyes of another.

Later in the morning, I read another story from TBogg, and I began to think that perhaps conservatives are just sexually deprived or inadequate?

And because Conservative men know that everyone is having more and better sex than they have ever had or will have because woman don’t find them attractive unless they have a million dollar radio deal and an endless supply of Hillbilly heroin to help deaden the humiliation of being humped for forty seconds by a huffing sweaty butt pustule, well, they start to lose their comedic edge.

And when they find out that their sense of humor is deader than Bob Dole’s dick, they start invading countries instead of invading those sweet marshy swamplands to the south, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

If you’re liberal.

You know, there’s probably some truth to this. Conservatives fixate on controlling women, having large guns, asserting their authority, war, and driving large, fast vehicles.

It's strange that conservatives seem to have one or more of the following issues:

  • they have magnified social phobias
  • they fear foreigners
  • they have never travelled too far from home
  • they have sexual hangups
  • they lack self-esteem
  • they lack education

When you have too many of these things going on at one time, you lose your ability to empathize with others. Why? Perhaps it’s because you are so caught up in your own world that you cannot possibly imagine life from the perspective of others? Don’t ask me, I’m not a psychologist.

I know that there are conservative comedians out there, but as I go through the list of my favorites, I can’t think of one that could be defined as a true conservative. Can you?

17 Comments:

At 10 August, 2005 14:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn facist provincial asspounders in there parents basements should just kill themselves

 
At 10 August, 2005 15:39, Blogger Joe Visionary said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10 August, 2005 16:02, Blogger Joe Visionary said...

I think you're right, but there's a problem with that: If the Democrats/liberals are generally more intelligent than the Republicans/conservatives, ridiculing them makes as much sense as it would for me to ridicule my kids' silly ways.

Yes, they can be hilarious, but I can't really allow myself to laugh at them. I must realize that we are all born naked and ignorant, and that pratfalls are unavoidable. We learn most effectively from them.

If the conservatives are as dopey as I'm lead to believe, then the liberals of America are simply going to have to understand that these less-informed people will need to be patiently educated, and ridicule is simply out of the question.

This can be a very frustrating process, but I don't see how they'll ever wise up if you simply don't catch them at every silly thing they say, and clearly explain the problem(s) with what they say.

Furthermore, since they can be a proud lot, you can't laugh at them (at least not in their face), or you will have undermined the trust that they would give you as they learn to recognize your wisdom.

Am I suggesting that Democrats patronize Republicans? Probably not a good strategy. Perhaps it would be better to view it more as older and younger brothers: the assumption here would be that despite whatever fighting there may be between them, ultimately they care very much for each other.

If you as liberals are galled by this suggestion because you find the conservatives as huggable as porcupines, how different do you suppose it is for conservatives to accept your wisdom when you implicitly assume you're the smarter, but you're not showing it?

 
At 10 August, 2005 16:25, Blogger Vaughn D. Taylor said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10 August, 2005 16:38, Blogger Vaughn D. Taylor said...

"galled by this suggestion because you find the conservatives as huggable as porcupines, how different do you suppose it is for conservatives to accept your wisdom when you implicitly assume you're the smarter"

Points well taken Joe. I spend way too much time posting in conservative blogs, and I've actually had good conversations with people there. While I doubt that I've ever converted any of them, I feel that I've made a few of them question their beliefs.

 
At 10 August, 2005 17:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

conservatives are shit eating pussies

 
At 10 August, 2005 18:36, Blogger Joe Visionary said...

Could I suggest that America needs more like you?

It's the grassroots work that ultimately has the greatest effect.

Joe

 
At 10 August, 2005 19:37, Blogger disabledvet said...

As someone who has a died in the wool conservative in the family (oh the shame of it all), it seems a waste of time to try and convert the truest and deepest believers. The most profitable area of effort seems to be the ones who are a little more open minded. A great deal of people are fence sitters and got taken in by W's smooth line of patter he was peddling. Now that they have seen the resul, many are reconsidering. Perversely this trend is likely to continue and accelerat as long as we are stuck in this pointless war. However, no matter how bad things get, there is a solic block of the population that will continue to defend W. Thes people will follow him to hell. If it's any consolation these are the ones who get taken by Rush, O'Reilly, etc. who quite likely don't even believe there own line of crap when they sell it. Ok probably O'Reilly does, he shows severe signs of delusional psychosis. I hope to make a difference with people who maybe were on our side once but got sidetracked by Satans sweet silvered tounge. Many of these are people who don't read blogs (or even know what one is) and still get news from the big 3 and a local paper. The only way they are likely to hear our side is if we organize and demonstrate! It may have been slow, but it worked in the past. This also insures that the media starts airing the other side of the argument more often. BJust look at the coverage coming from the Presidents ranch due to Cindy Sheehan's protest. We need more of the same - in every major city!

 
At 10 August, 2005 20:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if there is a conservative in your family give them food poisoning before elections

 
At 10 August, 2005 23:46, Blogger disabledvet said...

Another thought - it's so hard not to laugh at them! Besides it's not like they were born conservative and therefore are not responsible. One doesn't tell black, hispanic, etc. jokes in polite society for very good reason. I particularly enjoy Al Frankens style of roasting of the Elephant. He doesn't just say they're full of it, he (and his interns) do the research, watching endless hours of bs from those people, to compile lists of exactly how they are self contridictory, liars, etc.. And he says it in a highly amusing manner.
Maybe they will eventually get tired of being the ones on the short schoolbus and smarten up.

 
At 11 August, 2005 00:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see that we're focusing on the important issues.

 
At 11 August, 2005 10:02, Blogger Joe Visionary said...

"Maybe they will eventually get tired of being the ones on the short schoolbus and smarten up."

I'm not sure I got the inference right, but does that suggest the 'remedial needs' kids? If so, it's a great line.

I agree that it can be hilarious, but there must be a fundamental love for your fellow countryman, however idiotic they prove to be.

In the same way that no American wishes to hear that any of your armed forces have been hurt in Iraq, that concern must extend to the Republicans as well.

They may drive you nuts, but America is still a single nation, ruled by a single government. You're all in it together, as I'm sure you are painfully aware.

As for the anonymous comment above, this relationship among liberals and conservatives is crucial to the evolution of America. Civil wars are no longer an option, and if no headway can be made by reconciliation, then perhaps America has demonstrated to the world that 300 million people are too many under one roof.

Please forgive my insolence if you're convinced I got it wrong; I am an outsider (Canadian) to all of this.

Joe

 
At 11 August, 2005 10:39, Blogger Vaughn D. Taylor said...

"Nice to see that we're focusing on the important issues."

Anonymous: While this piece does not directly address the "important issues", it does so in an indirect way. As, Joe said, "this relationship among liberals and conservatives is crucial to the evolution of America." His statement is wise. I want nothing more than to understand why there are people in America that are so drastically different from me. I don't feel negative feelings towards these people, unless they force negativity onto me. If conservatives could just try to practice empathy, they may not be so eager to bash people on the left. We mostly have the same end goals -- to be happy in our country. We have different philosophies as to how to achieve this, but neither group has all of the anwsers as to how to get there.

 
At 11 August, 2005 12:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you cant force tards to get smarter you have to hope they die for the empire

 
At 12 August, 2005 19:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA

 
At 14 August, 2005 15:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we should send all those tards to iraq so they can get there balls blown off too

 
At 16 August, 2005 01:06, Anonymous stevenyc said...

i wish i still had my balls

 

Post a Comment

<< Home